Ginger Pasta Salad
This is a handy, very easy recipe to use for a healthy, uncomplicated weekday dinner. Also useful if you have a vegetarian visitor.
- 250 g. fusilli noodles
- Salad items: 1/2 cucumber, 1 pepper, 2 carrots, plus any vegetables you like
- 3-4 garlic cloves and some olive oil
- powdered ginger to taste (~1 tsp.), or 1/2 inch chopped fresh ginger
- soy sauce to taste (~ 1/2 tbsp.)
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- optional: dash of chili sauce
Boil some water and cook the noodles al dente.
While these are boiling, chop up your vegetables and make a salad. You could use peppers, cucumber, cilantro, carrots, whatever you have handy - use stuff that won’t wilt in a hot salad. You could also boil some vegetables and add them too (e.g. yams, fennel, potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli etc.).
Fry the garlic in the oil and add the powdered ginger. When the garlic is done, dump in the noodles and fry for a while until tasty. Add a couple splashes of soy sauce and stir.
Stir pasta into salad.
Dressing: Stir honey, rice vinegar, and optional chili and dump on top.
Serves one student for about 3 days. Or 4 people for dinner. Prep time: 20 minutes.
We did it with cucumber, a pepper, carrots, rutabaga, and fennel.
The final salad: