Fried Rice with Scallops
This is random Wednesday night dinner I made based entirely on the assorted leftovers in my fridge and freezer. It turned out pretty yummy so here it is!
First, microwave for 5 mins:
- 1 yam, diced
While this is cooking, place in a fry pan:
- 2 small shallots or 1/3 white onion, diced
- some ginger root, diced
- 1 small garlic clove, diced
- olive oil
- dash of sesame oil (this has a very strong flavour, so go easy)
- package of frozen scallops
Fry up until scallops are defrosted and separated. Crack in:
- 4 eggs
- some spinach leaves, shredded
And cook until you’ve got a scrambled egg thing going. Don’t mix too vigorously - you want the eggs to turn out pretty chunky. Mix in:
- cooked yam from above
- 2 c. cooked rice. I had a mixture of wild rice and sushi rice kicking around.
- liberal dose of soy sauce. At least 2 tbsp. I used kicap manis, but whatever you have would be fine.
- Optional: couple saffron threads
- additional spicing, whatever floats your boat. Oyster sauce would be a classic addition.
Cook it all up until everything is heated through, adding extra olive oil if it’s sticking to the pan. Optional: sprinkle with some kind of nut (e.g. sesame seeds, peanuts, cashews).
Cooking time: 15-20 mins
Serves: 1 hungry person
Helpful tips for success: if you have leftovers, don’t be a lazybum with the dishes. This will stick to the fry pan if you leave it too long.