Chicken Noodle Soup for Sickies
- 900 mL chicken broth + equal amount of water (3 cans or 1 Tetrapack each)
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 whole chicken or ~ 2 lb. boneless chicken parts
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and sliced
- 1 c. sliced mushrooms
- 2 c. snap peas
- 250 g egg noodles or a thin noodle
- peppercorns to taste
- salt, but only if you’re not using commercial chicken broth
- bunch of parsley or cilantro, tied with thread or cooking twine
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 stalks fresh oregano or tarragon, whatever herbs you have on hand
- splash of lemon juice or lemongrass stalk
Pour chicken broth and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Put in onion, parsnip and simmer 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, put a pot of water on to boil for the noodles. Add chicken parts, celery, carrots, mushrooms, spicing stuff to the soup. Simmer another 10 minutes or until everything is done. Add the snap peas 1 minute from the end.
To serve, remove the parsley bunch, lemongrass if you used it, bay leaf if you can find it. Put some cooked noodles in a bowl and ladle soup on top.
If using a whole chicken then put it in with the onion/parsnip.
Joy of Cooking says that flavour can be enhanced by first browning the chicken in vegetable oil, but that seems like a lot of effort.