Sally's Veggie Lasagna
- 1 c. chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 c. sliced mushrooms
- 1 c. each diced carrots, chopped sweet red pepper, and thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 can. (28 oz) tomatoes, undrained, cut up
- 1 c. Italian style tomato sauce
- 1 can (5 1/2 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 9 whole wheat or spinach lasagna noodles
- 2 c. low-fat (1%) cottage cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 c. Parmesan
- 1 10 oz. package frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry, and chopped
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella (4 oz)
- 3/4 c. shredded cheddar (3 oz)
Spray a large saucepan with non-stick spray. Add onions, garlic, mushrooms, carrots, red pepper, and zucchini. Cook and stir over medium heat until veggies are softened, about 7-8 mins.
Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, soy sauce, basil, oregano, brown sugar, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, prepare lasagna noodles according to package instructions. Rinse under cold water and drain well.
In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, egg white, Parmesan, and spinach. Set aside. In a separate bowl, toss mozzarella and cheddar cheeses together until well mixed.
To assemble: spray a deep 13 x 9 in. baking pan with non-stick spray. Spread 1 c. sauce over bottom of the pan. Layer 3 noodles over top. Spread 2 c. sauce over noodles, followed by 1/2 of the cottage cheese/spinach mixture, and 1/3 of the cheese. Top with 3 more noodles, 2 c. sauce, 1/2 of the cottage cheese/spinach mixture, and 1/3 of the cheese. Layer final 3 noodles on top, followed by 2 c. sauce. You should be left with 1/3 of the cheese.
Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 30 mins. Remove from oven, uncover, and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Return to oven, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Let lasagna cool for 10 mins. before slicing (be patient; it will hold together much better if you wait!).