Multigrain Bread ~ Bread Machine Version
This is an adaptation of Peter Reinhart’s Multigrain Bread Extraordinaire for use in a bread machine. It is halved for a 1-lb loaf.
- 1 1/2 tbsp (0.5 oz) cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tbsp (0.38 oz) rolled oats
- 1 tbsp (0.13 oz) wheat bran
- 2 tbsp (1 oz) water, at room temperature
Combine in a small bowl, mix, and set aside to soak.
- 1/4 c (2 oz) water or milk
- 1/4 c + 2 tbsp (3 oz) water
- 1 1/2 c. (6.75 oz.) unbleached high-gluten or bread flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp (0.5 oz) cooked brown rice (or whatever rice you have lying around leftover) (optional if you have no rice)
- 1 1/2 tbsp (0.75 oz) brown sugar (packed if measuring by volume)
- 3/4 tbsp (0.5 oz) honey (optional, you can just use brown sugar and skip this)
- if you used water above instead of milk, 1 tbsp dry milk powder (or whatever the package says will make 1/4 c of milk)
- 3/4 tsp (0.19 oz) salt
- 1/2 tbsp (0.17 oz) instant yeast
- 1/2 tbsp unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
Add everything except yeast and toppings to the bread machine in order listed. Spoon soaker on top around the edges of the machine. Make a small divet in the center of the flour mound and place in yeast. Do not allow yeast to touch water.
When the “add beep” sounds, add the toppings.
Cook on regular bread and regular crust.
You can do it either with water/milk or water/dry milk powder. I use water and milk powder when I want to leave it overnight with the timer function.
Whole Wheat Variant
I have replaced from 1/4 c to 1/2 c of the bread flour with whole-wheat flour to no ill effect.
Tried it with following changes:
Had no wheat bran so used Qia seed mix. Had no rice so skipped that. Added 1 tbsp of poppy seeds and 1/2 tbsp of coriander seeds at add beep.
It was FANTASTIC!