Tom Still Has a Job Salad / Christmas salad
- 2 endives, sliced into thin strips
- 1 romaine head, chopped in small pieces
- pea sprouts, chopped
- herbs, chopped up:
- dried cranberries
- roasted cherry tomatoes (recipe follows)
- farmhouse vinaigrette (recipe follows)
Other things that would probably be fun additions:
Roasted cherry tomatoes
- 8-10 oz cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- large pinch kosher salt
Preheat over to 450. Cover baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, toss all ingredient together. Array the cherry tomatoes, mostly cut side up, on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 22-24 minutes until tomatoes are shrunken and a bit charred around the edges. Let cool for 10 minutes or so before removing them. Use right away or store in the fridge for 5-6 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. See also Roasted Cherry Tomato Spaghetti.
You can double this if making a big salad.
- 2/3 c olive oil
- 1/4 c white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and cut in half
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
Combine oil, vinegar, lemon juice, lemon zest, honest, mustard, salt, and several general grinds of pepper in a recepticle with a lid. Shake well. Taste and add more lemon juice if desired. Add the garlic and thyme and store in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
This will make extra amounts of vinaigrette.
Source: Simple Green Suppers