Pear Frangipane Tart
Ingredients for Frangipane and pear topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pulse hazelnuts with 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor until finely ground, then add flour and pulse to combine.
- Beat together butter and remaining 1/4 cup sugar with an electric mixer at moderately high speed until pale and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in extracts. Reduce speed to low and mix in nut mixture until just combined.
- Spread frangipane filling evenly in tart shell. Peel, halve, and core pears, then cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices, holding slices together to keep pear shape intact. Arrange pears decoratively on filling, fanning slices slightly. Bake until pears are golden and frangipane is puffed and golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes. Brush pears (not filling) with preserves and cool tart completely in pan on rack, then remove side of pan.
Ingredients for Tart Shell
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- 3 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- Special equipment: a pastry or bench scraper; an 11- by 1-inch fluted round tart pan with a removable bottom; pie weights or raw rice