Thai-Style Red Curry with Prawns, Bell Pepper, and Snap Peas
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 tsp Thai red curry paste
- 3/4 c canned coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 c chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/4 inch wide strips
- 4 oz sugar snap peas, strings removed, cut in half on the bias
- 8 oz prawns, peeled, and tails removed
- 1/4 c Thai basil leaves, or regular basil leaves
- 2 tsp lime juice
- salt and pepper
Heat oil in 10-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add curry paste and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Whisk in coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar. Whisk broth and cornstarch together in a bowl, then whisk mixture into skillet and bring to a simmer.
Stir in bell pepper and snap peas and simmer until veggies are crisp-tender and sauce has thickened slightly, 5 to 8 minutes. Season with extra curry paste to taste.
Stir in prawns and simmer until opaque throughout, 3 to 5 minutes. Off heat, stir in basil, lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with rice.
Variation: Prawns, Asparagus and Carrots
Substitute 8 oz asparagus, trimmed and cut on the bias into 2-inch lengths, for bell pepper, and 2 carrot, peeled and cut into 2-inch long matchsticks, for snap peas.